Ray

Default I made a terrible mistake and need help

Does anyone know how to help me. I erased all of my data and intended to
save my work as a new file but clicked the save function instead and now I
have no data.
lost all of my data. Is there anyway to recover the old file??

Please help

Vasant Nanavati

Hi Bob:

Amazingly, it actually saves the last few versions of overwritten files in
the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

Regards,

"Ray" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to help me. I erased all of my data and

intended
save my work as a new file but clicked the save function instead and

now
have no data.
lost all of my data. Is there anyway to recover the old file??

Please help

Gord Dibben

Vasant

I run Norton System Works 4.0 on my Win98SE C: partition and the Unerase works
as it should. Can find several back-versions to select from and recover. A
great tool and saved my butt a few times.

I run Norton Utilities 2002 only on my WinXPPro E: partition and the Unerase
will only create *.lnk files, which do not produce usable back-versions of the
files.

Ergo.....the Unerase in NU is useless for recovery under my current settings.

Any pointers? Something I'm missing?

Gord

"Ray" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to help me. I erased all of my data and

intended
save my work as a new file but clicked the save function instead and

now
have no data.
lost all of my data. Is there anyway to recover the old file??

Please help

Vasant Nanavati

Hi Gord:

I'm using Norton SystemWorks 5.0, which apparently includes Norton Utilities
6.0. I'm using this on Win2K Pro, with no partitioned disks. Maybe there's a
difference? There are so many versions of these utilities that I can't keep
track. AFAIK I installed the program 3 years ago with the recommended
default settings.

Regards,

Vasant

"Ray" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to help me. I erased all of my data and

intended
save my work as a new file but clicked the save function instead

and
now
have no data.
lost all of my data. Is there anyway to recover the old file??

Please help

Gord Dibben

OK Vasant.

That explains it.

Unerase works fine if installed through System Works, but the standalone
Utilities 2002 has a "sort of" documented problem with WinXP and the Unerase.

SW 4.0 doesn't like WinXP so can't install on that partition.

If really need to recover an overwritten file, I can re-boot to Win98SE
partition and recover from there because I use C: mainly for data storage,
including my Excel files.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:17:22 -0400, "Vasant Nanavati" <vasantn *AT* aol *DOT*
com wrote:

Hi Gord:

I'm using Norton SystemWorks 5.0, which apparently includes Norton Utilities
6.0. I'm using this on Win2K Pro, with no partitioned disks. Maybe there's a
difference? There are so many versions of these utilities that I can't keep
track. AFAIK I installed the program 3 years ago with the recommended
default settings.

Regards,

Vasant

.. .