Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Showing the function in the active cell

I have a spreadsheet with column C that is a calculation (=A1+B1). As long
as i have data in columns A and B, there is a value in column C. When I put
activate an empty cell in column C (i.e. shares a row with no data in columns
A and B), the formula (=An + Bn) does not show up in the command line. But
when I enter data in this row (in columns A and B), then column C
automatically applies the formula. Why is this? I would expect to see the
formula (=An + Bn) in the active cell if a formula is going to apply.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is the sheet protected ?
Right click the cellFormatCellsProtection Is this 'hidden' ?

If yes revert those and you should be able to see the formulas

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jeff" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with column C that is a calculation (=A1+B1). As long
as i have data in columns A and B, there is a value in column C. When I put
activate an empty cell in column C (i.e. shares a row with no data in columns
A and B), the formula (=An + Bn) does not show up in the command line. But
when I enter data in this row (in columns A and B), then column C
automatically applies the formula. Why is this? I would expect to see the
formula (=An + Bn) in the active cell if a formula is going to apply.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Click on Tools | Options | Edit tab, and you will see a checkbox for
Extend list formats and formulas. If this is checked then Excel will
insert a formula where it thinks you would like to have one, eg at the
end of a list when you have added some new data.

Uncheck it if you don't want that effect.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 13, 5:34*pm, Jeff wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with column C that is a calculation (=A1+B1). *As long
as i have data in columns A and B, there is a value in column C. *When I put
activate an empty cell in column C (i.e. shares a row with no data in columns
A and B), the formula (=An + Bn) does not show up in the command line. *But
when I enter data in this row (in columns A and B), then column C
automatically applies the formula. *Why is this? *I would expect to see the
formula (=An + Bn) in the active cell if a formula is going to apply.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If not check for any macros; right click the sheet tab view code..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jeff" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with column C that is a calculation (=A1+B1). As long
as i have data in columns A and B, there is a value in column C. When I put
activate an empty cell in column C (i.e. shares a row with no data in columns
A and B), the formula (=An + Bn) does not show up in the command line. But
when I enter data in this row (in columns A and B), then column C
automatically applies the formula. Why is this? I would expect to see the
formula (=An + Bn) in the active cell if a formula is going to apply.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, Jeff - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Aug 13, 5:34 pm, Jeff wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with column C that is a calculation (=A1+B1). *As long
as i have data in columns A and B, there is a value in column C. *When I put
activate an empty cell in column C (i.e. shares a row with no data in columns
A and B), the formula (=An + Bn) does not show up in the command line. *But
when I enter data in this row (in columns A and B), then column C
automatically applies the formula. *Why is this? *I would expect to see the
formula (=An + Bn) in the active cell if a formula is going to apply.- Hide quoted text -