Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Index formula and VLookup w/ Multiple Values

Hello,
I searched through the threads and tried using some of Biff's array
formulas, but not with any success. I believe I'm missing a step or two. An
excerpt of my data is as such:

C D N O P
1 File # Dept File # 120004 120009
2 100121 120009 100120 N/A N/A
3 100127 120009 100121 N/A 120009
4 100137 120009 100129 N/A N/A
5 100145 120009 100137 N/A 120009

I think the best way for me to explain what I'm trying to do is to show you
the formula I came up with before this post:

=IF((VLOOKUP($N2,$C$2:$D$5,2,FALSE)=$O$1),$O$1,"N/A")

This worked until I learned that Column C has duplicates. For example, File
#100695 can belong to Dept 120009, 120063, and 120092.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have a feeling I'm making things more
complicated than necessary. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards,
Patrick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may want to refer my article on the following link

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CL100570551033

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Perhaps something like this?

In O2, normal ENTER:
=--ISNUMBER(MATCH(1,INDEX(($C$2:$C$100=$N2)*($D$2:$D$ 100=O$1),),0))
Copy O2 to P2, fill down as far as required. This populates results as zeros
or 1's where the file# in col N & the Dept specified in O1/P1 (the
combination) is not found (zero) or found (1's) within the source cols C and
D.

Voila? Hit the YES below
--
Max