Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Question for Mr. T Valko

Hi Mr. Valko,

You answered my question earlier this week on an Excel '07 discussion
board, and your answer was by far the best and most elegant. Mine was
the question about counting cells in a series, and you answered with a
sum over a frequency. If you don't mind, I have another question
that's based off an elaboration of my first one. Say you have the
following data:

A C
B D
B D
B E
A C
B E
A E
B D
B E
A C
B D

And you want to count how many times an "A C" is followed by a "B D,"
and how many (these could be 2 columns of data or one). So, output for
the above would be:

1: 1
2: 1

I think the way to do it would be to sum over a frequency, but I can't
figure out how to set the bin array the way I need it. The bins would
have to start at "A C" and reset after any "A <C"

Thoughts? Maybe a way to do it that way or a better way entirely?

Thanks for your help,