Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default percentage calculation

If my figure in Column A2 is $53,000 for annual sales and my column A$ is
$75,000 for the budget amount, how to calculate the percentage of the sales
amount to the budget?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
I assume that the 75000 are in cell A3, so in cell A4 enter

=A2/A3
format as %

or if you don't want to format as % use

=A2/A3*100

"rpi929" wrote:

If my figure in Column A2 is $53,000 for annual sales and my column A$ is
$75,000 for the budget amount, how to calculate the percentage of the sales
amount to the budget?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

About percentages in Excel

Niek Otten, July 26 2006

In Excel, percentages are stored as fractions; 15% is stored as 0.15, 100%
as 1. That makes it easy to calculate with; just multiply a number with a
percentage and you get what you need. No need to divide/multiply by 100. In
fact, if you see a calculation with percentages which has the number 100
somewhere in the formula; be very careful, it might be wrong or at least use
percentages in a way they werent meant to be used in Excel.
The conversion to a fraction happens automatically if you enter the % sign:
if you enter 15% (without the quotes) the value will be 0.15 and it will
be displayed as 15%. If you then enter 12 in the same cell, two things can
happen: It will be the number 12 or 12%. What happens in your case depends
on a setting:
ToolsOptions, Edit tab, Enable automatic percent entry (only Excel2000
and newer).
All built-in functions of Excel and all the functions in Analysis Toolpak
use this representation of percentages: be careful when supplying parameters
to these functions; never use whole numbers (like 8), always use fractions
(like 0.08 or, even better, 8%).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:
I have A1 and B1. How do I get C1 to show B1 as a percentage of A1?
A:
Formula in C1: =B1/A1, Format as %

Q:
I have A1 and B1. How do I show the difference as a percentage in C1?
A:
As a percentage of A1: =(B1-A1)/A1, Format as %
As a percentage of B1: =(B1-A1)/B1, Format as %

Q:
In A1 I have he end price.
In B1 I have the VAT percentage, entered like 15%
What is the formula to find the base price, excluding VAT?
A:
=A1/(1+A2)

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"rpi929" wrote in message
If my figure in Column A2 is $53,000 for annual sales and my column A$ is
$75,000 for the budget amount, how to calculate the percentage of the
sales
amount to the budget?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"rpi929" wrote:
If my figure in Column A2 is $53,000 for annual sales and my column A$ is
$75,000 for the budget amount, how to calculate the percentage of the
sales
amount to the budget?

I assume 75000 is in A4. Then sales as a percentage of budget (forecast)
is:

=A2/A4

formatted as Percentage (click Format Cells Number).

If you want to calculate percentage increase of sales over budget
(forecast):

=A2/A4 - 1

formatted, again, as Percentage.

In both case, if the budget (forecast) might be zero, it would be prudent to
write;

=if(A4=0, 1, A2/A4)

=if(A4=0, 1, A2/A4 - 1)

It should be noted that the choice of 1 (100%) when A4=0 is arbitrary.

Caveat emptor: post back for more help if either A2 or A4 can be negative.

(Don't scoff at negative sales. I've seen it happen when returns from a
previous time period exceeds sales in the current time period.)