Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Default Change Picture based on cell value

Sorry for the double post, but I put my question as a reply to an old post
and I'm concerned it will not be answered. Below is my question from a post
from last May.

I'm trying to change a picture based on the selection of a cell in a drop
down list.

Gord,

I've the John McGimpsey method. I've downloaded his sample sheet, played
with it, added more photos and names in the range and everything works.

However when I copy the exact source code (changed the range to the cell
where I want the photo) over to the sheet I need this function to work, it
does not. Instead of displaying the named picture, it displays the picture
name 'Picture 1' in the destination cell.

VBA is over my head, any help?

Thanks much in advance.

JIM

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Pictures cannot be embedded in a cell and referenced by a formula like =A1

See John McGimpsey's site for one method using Event code, Data Validation
and VLOOKUP formula.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

OR go to Debra Dalgeish's site for a sample workbook from Bernie Dietrick
for adding pictures to selections.

Alows for more than one picture(or same picture multiple times) to be
displayed based upon a value or item chosen from DV lists

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0049 - ClipArt Selection

Edit the code to suit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jim, can you supply the code as you have it now? (i.e the code that
doesn't work)

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Pictures cannot be embedded in a cell and referenced by a formula

like =A1

See John McGimpsey's site for one method using Event code, Data

Validation
and VLOOKUP formula.

'McGimpsey & Associates : Excel : Display picture based on cell

value' (http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html)

OR go to Debra Dalgeish's site for a sample workbook from Bernie

Dietrick
for adding pictures to selections.

Alows for more than one picture(or same picture multiple times) to be
displayed based upon a value or item chosen from DV lists

'Contextures Sample Spreadsheets'

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119183

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Simon,

I actually just figured out my own security settings were preventing the
code from running. Feel kind of silly now, but lesson learned.

Thank you for the reply regardless.

Have a great day!

JIM

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey, we're all still learning, glad you're sorted.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Pictures cannot be embedded in a cell and referenced by a formula
like =A1

See John McGimpsey's site for one method using Event code, Data
Validation
and VLOOKUP formula.

'McGimpsey & Associates : Excel : Display picture based on cell
value' ('McGimpsey & Associates : Excel : Display picture based on

cell value' (http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html))

OR go to Debra Dalgeish's site for a sample workbook from Bernie
Dietrick
for adding pictures to selections.

Alows for more than one picture(or same picture multiple times)

to be
displayed based upon a value or item chosen from DV lists

'Contextures Sample Spreadsheets'
('Contextures Sample Spreadsheets'

(http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal))

DV0049 - ClipArt Selection

Edit the code to suit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage - Microsoft Office Help - Microsoft

Office Discussion' (http://www.thecodecage.com))

Simon Lloyd's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon

Lloyd' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1)
View this thread: 'Change Picture based on cell value - The Code Cage

Forums' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119183)