Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP or MATCH and/or INDEX to extract value on a given date

I need to do a lookup in which I am get the date and value of a transaction
from a continuous listing of dates.

Entire range for the data is R2C1:R1215C10
Column 1 has the dates starting with 3/16/2006 and end 5/29/2009. The dates
in this column mark an actual transaction.

Column 2 has the value I need to look up - the value of the transacation

Column 9 has the dates on a continuous daily basis - starting with
3/16/2006, next date is 3/17/2006, etc.

Column 10 is where I want the result of the looked up values

So if the next transaction is on 4/1/2006, the value of that transaction
($950.40) will be in Column 10 on that matching day of 4/1/2006.

I've tried puttering around with Match and Index but the solution is eluding
me at this point.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
In column 10 enter

=SUMPRODUCT(--(RC[-1]=C[-9]),C[-8])

"Don Kline" wrote:

I need to do a lookup in which I am get the date and value of a transaction
from a continuous listing of dates.

Entire range for the data is R2C1:R1215C10
Column 1 has the dates starting with 3/16/2006 and end 5/29/2009. The dates
in this column mark an actual transaction.

Column 2 has the value I need to look up - the value of the transacation

Column 9 has the dates on a continuous daily basis - starting with
3/16/2006, next date is 3/17/2006, etc.

Column 10 is where I want the result of the looked up values

So if the next transaction is on 4/1/2006, the value of that transaction
($950.40) will be in Column 10 on that matching day of 4/1/2006.

I've tried puttering around with Match and Index but the solution is eluding
me at this point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Assuming real dates in the source col A, and in I2 down
In J2: =INDEX(B:B,MATCH(I2,A:A,0))
Copy down

If you need an error trap, use this in J2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(I2,A:A,0)),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH(I2,A: A,0)))
--
Max
Singapore
"Don Kline" wrote:
I need to do a lookup in which I am get the date and value of a transaction
from a continuous listing of dates.

Entire range for the data is R2C1:R1215C10
Column 1 has the dates starting with 3/16/2006 and end 5/29/2009. The dates
in this column mark an actual transaction.

Column 2 has the value I need to look up - the value of the transacation

Column 9 has the dates on a continuous daily basis - starting with
3/16/2006, next date is 3/17/2006, etc.

Column 10 is where I want the result of the looked up values

So if the next transaction is on 4/1/2006, the value of that transaction
($950.40) will be in Column 10 on that matching day of 4/1/2006.

I've tried puttering around with Match and Index but the solution is eluding
me at this point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In column 10:

=SUMIF(C[-9],RC[-1],C[-8])
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Don Kline" wrote:

I need to do a lookup in which I am get the date and value of a transaction
from a continuous listing of dates.

Entire range for the data is R2C1:R1215C10
Column 1 has the dates starting with 3/16/2006 and end 5/29/2009. The dates
in this column mark an actual transaction.

Column 2 has the value I need to look up - the value of the transacation

Column 9 has the dates on a continuous daily basis - starting with
3/16/2006, next date is 3/17/2006, etc.

Column 10 is where I want the result of the looked up values

So if the next transaction is on 4/1/2006, the value of that transaction
($950.40) will be in Column 10 on that matching day of 4/1/2006.

I've tried puttering around with Match and Index but the solution is eluding
me at this point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Works like a champ. Thank you.

"Luke M" wrote:

In column 10:

=SUMIF(C[-9],RC[-1],C[-8])
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Don Kline" wrote:

I need to do a lookup in which I am get the date and value of a transaction
from a continuous listing of dates.

Entire range for the data is R2C1:R1215C10
Column 1 has the dates starting with 3/16/2006 and end 5/29/2009. The dates
in this column mark an actual transaction.

Column 2 has the value I need to look up - the value of the transacation

Column 9 has the dates on a continuous daily basis - starting with
3/16/2006, next date is 3/17/2006, etc.

Column 10 is where I want the result of the looked up values

So if the next transaction is on 4/1/2006, the value of that transaction
($950.40) will be in Column 10 on that matching day of 4/1/2006.

I've tried puttering around with Match and Index but the solution is eluding
me at this point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the reply. I could not get it to work. When walking it through the
Evaluate Formula, it was throwing a NUM! error in --(RC[-1]=C[-9]. I have not
been succesful in making any adustment.

"Eduardo" wrote:

Hi,
In column 10 enter