Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If Formula When Contains Partial Word

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to link these two sheets together as far as making them
easier to integrate.

I have this main sheet thats full of every group that will be coming
to our establishment in the next 20 years. These groups are named for
example "Microsoft Oct 09", "Microsoft Dec 11", etc
- From a VLookup it pulls if they have a deposit or not from a hidden
area
- From an IF formula, it pulls if it is a certain sales managers
initials and returns "SOCIAL RMS".

I want to integrate a third formula to do the following: I have a
small list (about 10 or so) of company names only - So it says
"Microsoft". These are deposits that stay on file in a separate area
of our accounting team.

I want add a column with the formula that says "If the group name
contains the word Microsoft, then say rolling deposit".

What I'm having difficulty with is getting it to pull it if it
CONTAINS the word. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for
enhancing my sheet.

BACKGROUND ON SHEET:
COLUMNS:
Group code, Group name, Sales person, (1) VLOOKUP to see if deposit on
file in alternate hidden area, (2) IF ERROR in prev column, (3) IF
prev col = true return 0 if false return deposit amount, and currently
my last column (the only one unhidden since the sales person) is an
(4) if the salesperson is MVW return value of social rms- if not
return deposit amount from col 3
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=if(A4-"*Microsoft*","Rolling deposit","")

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"zeetoe04" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It still comes up as " " as opposed to "Rolling Deposit" despite the
asterisks. I'm assuming you meant (A4="*, not the negative sign. The
negative makes it not work.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way is to use Countif, as in:
=if(countif(a4,"*microsoft*")0,"rolling deposit","something else")

You can also check more than one cell with Countif

Regards
Fred

"zeetoe04" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

yes that is the = sign. Sorry about that. try if(A4="Microsoft*","Rolling
deposit","")

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"zeetoe04" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the help! The CountIf worked, not even sure how but it
worked! :)

The second one still didn't work :(

But if I did the first with only one asterisk it worked.

Thanks again!!

"zeetoe04" wrote in message
[...]

return deposit amount from col 3- Hide quoted text -