Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Should I be using IF to find how many times a word occurs in a ran

Hi

I have an area B3:AF78 and I need to know how many times the word "Ruth"
appears within this range. Each cell only contains one name. I will need
this formula for a number of names within the range. I tried this formula
but it didnt work and I think I may be using the wrong formula completely.
Can anyone help at all.

=IF(B3:AF78="Ruth",1,0)

Many thanks
Ruth
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTIF(B3:AF78,"Ruth")
Regards,
Stefi

€˛ruthie_toothy€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi

I have an area B3:AF78 and I need to know how many times the word "Ruth"
appears within this range. Each cell only contains one name. I will need
this formula for a number of names within the range. I tried this formula
but it didnt work and I think I may be using the wrong formula completely.
Can anyone help at all.

=IF(B3:AF78="Ruth",1,0)

Many thanks
Ruth

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PJ PJ is offline

Hi Ruth

Try:

=COUNTIF(B3:AF78,"Ruth")

"ruthie_toothy" wrote:

Hi

I have an area B3:AF78 and I need to know how many times the word "Ruth"
appears within this range. Each cell only contains one name. I will need
this formula for a number of names within the range. I tried this formula
but it didnt work and I think I may be using the wrong formula completely.
Can anyone help at all.

=IF(B3:AF78="Ruth",1,0)

Many thanks
Ruth

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ruth

=COUNTIF($B$3:$AF$78,"Ruth")

If you are wanting to count several names, better to put the names in a cell
e.g. AG1, then use

=COUNTIF($B$3:$AF$78,AG1)
If you put other names in AG2, Ag3 etc, you can then just copy the formula
down.
--
Regards
Roger Govier