Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default USe Contents of cell as name of worksheet in a function

Hi All -

I have 1 worksheet for every student, and a summary worksheet that checks a
specific ranges in each students sheet. I manually do a find replace to
change the student's name in each column of the summary sheet.

How do I take the students name from COL C of the summary sheet and tell the
SUMIFs in Cols E - Z to go to that students worksheet and match the criteria
etc.. instead of manually changing the names ? (names in COL C match the
names of the students worksheets)

This worksheet is going to grow larger, and this would be very helpful.

Thank You - Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use INDIRECT

INDIRECT("'"&C2&"'!A2:A100")

for example

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"lab-guy" wrote in message
Hi All -

I have 1 worksheet for every student, and a summary worksheet that checks
specific ranges in each students sheet. I manually do a find replace to
change the student's name in each column of the summary sheet.

How do I take the students name from COL C of the summary sheet and tell
the
SUMIFs in Cols E - Z to go to that students worksheet and match the
criteria
etc.. instead of manually changing the names ? (names in COL C match the
names of the students worksheets)

This worksheet is going to grow larger, and this would be very helpful.

Thank You - Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This helps, Thank You

How do I make the C2 absolute, so the column doesn't change when I copy it ?

Mike

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use INDIRECT

INDIRECT("'"&C2&"'!A2:A100")

for example

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"lab-guy" wrote in message
Hi All -

I have 1 worksheet for every student, and a summary worksheet that checks
specific ranges in each students sheet. I manually do a find replace to
change the student's name in each column of the summary sheet.

How do I take the students name from COL C of the summary sheet and tell
the
SUMIFs in Cols E - Z to go to that students worksheet and match the
criteria
etc.. instead of manually changing the names ? (names in COL C match the
names of the students worksheets)

This worksheet is going to grow larger, and this would be very helpful.

Thank You - Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Got It !

I had to make it absolute in 2 places.

Thanks Much

Mike

"lab-guy" wrote:

This helps, Thank You

How do I make the C2 absolute, so the column doesn't change when I copy it ?

Mike

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use INDIRECT

INDIRECT("'"&C2&"'!A2:A100")

for example

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"lab-guy" wrote in message
Hi All -

I have 1 worksheet for every student, and a summary worksheet that checks
specific ranges in each students sheet. I manually do a find replace to
change the student's name in each column of the summary sheet.

How do I take the students name from COL C of the summary sheet and tell
the
SUMIFs in Cols E - Z to go to that students worksheet and match the
criteria
etc.. instead of manually changing the names ? (names in COL C match the
names of the students worksheets)

This worksheet is going to grow larger, and this would be very helpful.

Thank You - Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To understand relative and absolute addressing, look up the topic in Excel
help.

=INDIRECT("'"&$C$2&"'!A2:A100")
or =INDIRECT("'"&$C2&"'!A2:A100") if it is just the column, not the row,
that you want to be absolute.
--
David Biddulph

"lab-guy" wrote in message

This helps, Thank You

How do I make the C2 absolute, so the column doesn't change when I copy it
?

Mike

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use INDIRECT

INDIRECT("'"&C2&"'!A2:A100")

for example

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"lab-guy" wrote in message
Hi All -

I have 1 worksheet for every student, and a summary worksheet that
checks
specific ranges in each students sheet. I manually do a find replace
change the student's name in each column of the summary sheet.

How do I take the students name from COL C of the summary sheet and
tell
the
SUMIFs in Cols E - Z to go to that students worksheet and match the
criteria
etc.. instead of manually changing the names ? (names in COL C match
the
names of the students worksheets)

This worksheet is going to grow larger, and this would be very helpful.

Thank You - Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel 2007
SUMIFS() in summary sheet.