cmccab01

Default How do I set a ratio using two cells in Excel?

We're trying to show a relation between two cells, expressed as a ratio. Is
there a function that will allow for that? If so, what is it?

Thank you for any help. Please respond to .

Have a wonderful day.

John Mansfield

Excel provides no direct way to display the ratio between two values.
However, John Walkenbach's site shows how you can estimate a ratio via a
formula:

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip81.htm

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"cmccab01" wrote:

We're trying to show a relation between two cells, expressed as a ratio. Is
there a function that will allow for that? If so, what is it?

Thank you for any help. Please respond to .

Have a wonderful day.

Harlan Grove

"John Mansfield" wrote...
Excel provides no direct way to display the ratio between two values.
However, John Walkenbach's site shows how you can estimate a ratio via a
formula:

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip81.htm

If the OP could live with '/' rather than ':', then standard fraction
numeric formatting would display ratios as fractions. As for the linked
article, it must be WAY OLD. The simplest approach is

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(x/y,"####/####"),"/",":")

Not as short as the GCD formula, but uses nothing but built-in functions, so
no ATP dependency. Also, Walkenbach is wrong about how this is stored. Both
formulas on his site and the formula above are all stored as text, not time
values. They may be converted into time values if used as arithmetic
operands, but it's simple enough to convert the ':' back to a '/' using

SUBSTITUTE(z,":","/")