Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Find & and delete everything following

Hi There,
I have a spreadsheet with names in one column, however to load this file I
need to format correctly.
EG column contains:
James Smith & Sarah Brown
I need to delete everything from '&' onwards.
(I have used text to columns using & as the delimiter, however there are
instances of three or four names!)
Is there are delete function I can use? Could you please help?
Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this

=LEFT(EG3,SEARCH("&",EG3,1)-2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"fleura26" wrote in message
Hi There,
I have a spreadsheet with names in one column, however to load this file I
need to format correctly.
EG column contains:
James Smith & Sarah Brown
I need to delete everything from '&' onwards.
(I have used text to columns using & as the delimiter, however there are
instances of three or four names!)
Is there are delete function I can use? Could you please help?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

YAYYYY, you just saved me hours of manual work. Thank you thank you thank
you!!!!!!!

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Try this

=LEFT(EG3,SEARCH("&",EG3,1)-2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"fleura26" wrote in message
Hi There,
I have a spreadsheet with names in one column, however to load this file I
need to format correctly.
EG column contains:
James Smith & Sarah Brown
I need to delete everything from '&' onwards.
(I have used text to columns using & as the delimiter, however there are
instances of three or four names!)
Is there are delete function I can use? Could you please help?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You may want to search for " &" or add =trim() around that function.

Another possible way is to
Select the column
Edit|replace
what: & (or spacebar ampersand)
with: (leave blank)
replace all

This suffers the same problem if there are varying number of spaces in front of
that ampersand.

fleura26 wrote:

YAYYYY, you just saved me hours of manual work. Thank you thank you thank
you!!!!!!!

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Try this

=LEFT(EG3,SEARCH("&",EG3,1)-2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are welcome.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"fleura26" wrote in message
YAYYYY, you just saved me hours of manual work. Thank you thank you thank
you!!!!!!!

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Try this

=LEFT(EG3,SEARCH("&",EG3,1)-2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"fleura26" wrote in message
Hi There,
I have a spreadsheet with names in one column, however to load this
file I
need to format correctly.
EG column contains:
James Smith & Sarah Brown
I need to delete everything from '&' onwards.
(I have used text to columns using & as the delimiter, however there
are
instances of three or four names!)
Is there are delete function I can use? Could you please help?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Without using a formula, you can use find & replace, replacing &* with
nothing (that's ampersand & asterisk)
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Ashish Mathur" wrote in message
You are welcome.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"fleura26" wrote in message
YAYYYY, you just saved me hours of manual work. Thank you thank you thank

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Try this

=LEFT(EG3,SEARCH("&",EG3,1)-2)