Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculate average from non contiguous column, ignoring (0) values

I'm using Office 2003. I have a need to have 0 in a range of cells (instead
of blank). I need to create an average from some non contiguous cells. I
want the average to ignore cells containing a 0.

I can have the formula | =IF(B2=0,"",B2) | and if b2 is 0 then the formula
returns a blank, and if b2 is < 0 then formula returns value from b2.

If I embed this If formula into an Average formula |
=AVERAGE(IF(B2=0,"",B2),B9,B16,B23) | it returns a #Value error.

How can I create an Average formula that ignores cells with 0 value?
--
Jesse
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this array formula** :

=AVERAGE(IF((MOD(ROW(A2:A23)-ROW(A2),7)=0)*(A2:A23<0),A2:A23))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jesse" wrote in message
I'm using Office 2003. I have a need to have 0 in a range of cells
(instead
of blank). I need to create an average from some non contiguous cells. I
want the average to ignore cells containing a 0.

I can have the formula | =IF(B2=0,"",B2) | and if b2 is 0 then the formula
returns a blank, and if b2 is < 0 then formula returns value from b2.

If I embed this If formula into an Average formula |
=AVERAGE(IF(B2=0,"",B2),B9,B16,B23) | it returns a #Value error.

How can I create an Average formula that ignores cells with 0 value?
--
Jesse

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jesse wrote...
. . . I have a need to have 0 in a range of cells (instead of blank). . . .

There could be alternatives.

How can I create an Average formula that ignores cells with 0 value?

But in case there aren't alternatives, the most general way would be

=SUM((B2,B9,B16,B23))/INDEX(FREQUENCY((B2,B9,B16,B23),{0}),2)

If your value cells were always every 7th row beginning with row 2,
you could use an array formula like

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW(B2:B23),7)=2,IF(B2:B230,B2:B2 3)))

If you don't know what an array formula is, look for it in online Help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Since the cells are evenly spaced apart try this array formula:

=AVERAGE(IF(B2:B23*(MOD(ROW(B2:B23),7)=2)<0,B2:B2 3,""))

array - press Shift+Ctrl+Enter to enter the formula

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire