Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLookup formula transposing table_array when copied to another cel

I'm using the VLookup formula on a table with hundreds of rows of data.
Obviously, I don't want to enter the formla manually on each row; but when
copying the formula to subsequent rows, it transposes the lookup_value (which
I want) AND the table_array (which I don't want). So instead of looking for
the value in the array of A1:B423 on the cell where I copied the formula to,
the array becomes A2:B424.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use absolute reference such as in your formula and copy that down
$A$1:$B$423

Below are the different reference styles.
A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
the formula.
$A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
$A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria