Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Error Message :A value used in the formula is of the wrong data ty

Just upgraded to Office 2007, trying to do a very basic spreadsheet and keep
getting the above error message, and I cant see why ?
I have a column, with values in A6:A9, I want to add these together and then
subtract the total from a value in A10.
I'm using =Sum(A10-(A6:A9)), but keep getting the above error ? All cells
are formatted as General Numbers to 2 decimal places.
Can anyone help please ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're format is wrong. Try:
=A10-SUM(A6:A9)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Graham" wrote:

Just upgraded to Office 2007, trying to do a very basic spreadsheet and keep
getting the above error message, and I cant see why ?
I have a column, with values in A6:A9, I want to add these together and then
subtract the total from a value in A10.
I'm using =Sum(A10-(A6:A9)), but keep getting the above error ? All cells
are formatted as General Numbers to 2 decimal places.
Can anyone help please ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Error Message :A value used in the formula is of the wrong dat

Thank you both, mislead by the error message!!

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Use:
=A10-Sum(A6:A9)
HTH Otto
"Graham" wrote in message
Just upgraded to Office 2007, trying to do a very basic spreadsheet and
keep
getting the above error message, and I cant see why ?
I have a column, with values in A6:A9, I want to add these together and
then
subtract the total from a value in A10.
I'm using =Sum(A10-(A6:A9)), but keep getting the above error ? All cells
are formatted as General Numbers to 2 decimal places.
Can anyone help please ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This is interesting but - in 2007 you get an answer with your original
formula without getting an error but in 2003 you get the #VALUE! error.

However, in both version Excel will calculate a number for your formula if
you enter it as an array (Ctrl+Shift+Enter). But in that case Excel thinks
you want to perform the following calculations
SUM(A10-A6,A10-A7,A10-A8,A10-A9)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Graham" wrote:

Thank you both, mislead by the error message!!

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Use:
=A10-Sum(A6:A9)
HTH Otto