-   -   Why is my drag and fill not following the pattern? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/233123-why-my-drag-fill-not-following-pattern.html)

NAKA

Why is my drag and fill not following the pattern?

I'm trying trying to create a column of number in a pattern:
1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3 etc. When I use the drag and fill option to continue this
pattern, it inserts extra rows and included decimals. How do I prevent this?

Teethless mama

Why is my drag and fill not following the pattern?

=INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/3)+1

copy down as far as needed

"NAKA" wrote:

I'm trying trying to create a column of number in a pattern:
1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3 etc. When I use the drag and fill option to continue this
pattern, it inserts extra rows and included decimals. How do I prevent this?

NAKA

Why is my drag and fill not following the pattern?

Dear Teethless Mama -- You are a lifesaver. Thanks so much!!

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/3)+1

copy down as far as needed

"NAKA" wrote:

I'm trying trying to create a column of number in a pattern:
1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3 etc. When I use the drag and fill option to continue this
pattern, it inserts extra rows and included decimals. How do I prevent this?

Teethless mama

Why is my drag and fill not following the pattern?

You're Welcome!

"NAKA" wrote:

Dear Teethless Mama -- You are a lifesaver. Thanks so much!!

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/3)+1

copy down as far as needed

"NAKA" wrote:

I'm trying trying to create a column of number in a pattern:
1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3 etc. When I use the drag and fill option to continue this
pattern, it inserts extra rows and included decimals. How do I prevent this?

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

Why is my drag and fill not following the pattern?

Hi,

Here is one solution:

=INT(ROW(3:3)/3)

Cheers,