Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default recognizing words as numbers...for a formula

I want excel to recognize "light" as a value of 60 but show the text not the
value. Then I want to use this cell in a formula. Any idea how to do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could take two approaches

1. Display Light but actually have a value of 60 in the cell
2. Test the content for "light" and then use 60

The first involves a custom format, but if you have lots of items you want
to do this with it might not meet your needs.
The second would use a formula to find the value you associate with light,
for example if there are a lot of these items with different values you could
use VLOOKUP, if only one, light, then
=IF(A1="light",60,"")
and incorporate that into a formula

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"CONFUSED" wrote:

I want excel to recognize "light" as a value of 60 but show the text not the
value. Then I want to use this cell in a formula. Any idea how to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If you just want to display 60 as Light, then you can di tit through Format
Cells Number Category Custom Type "Light". Please note that the

cell will still continue to hold 60.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com