Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count if with partial text match

Ok, this problem has been driving me nuts and I wanted to elicit some
advice from the experts. I will try to explain it the best that I can
and hopefully with a bit of illustration.

I have data spread over two different sheets. Sheet 1 looks like this
(shortened for clarity):

A B
C D
1 leacode state
leaname state4math08
2 3001710 MONTANA ABSAROKEE ELEMENTARY
3 3001740 MONTANA ABSAROKEE HIGH SCHOOL
4 3001860 MONTANA ALBERTON K-12 SCHOOLS
5 3017460 MONTANA ALDER ELEMENTARY
6 3001950 MONTANA ALZADA ELEMENTARY
7 3001980 MONTANA AMSTERDAM ELEMENTARY

Sheet 2 looks like this:

A B
1 Name passed
2 Absarokee Elem 0.6
3 Amsterdam Elem 0.77

My goal is to have the values of column B in Sheet 2 counted in Column
D of Sheet 1 but only if the names from A2 matches the name in C2.
For clarity...the value of B2 (sheet 2) should go into D2 (sheet 1)
since A2 (sheet 2) matches C2 (sheet 1). I would then like to use the
same formula for the entire sheet.

As you have probably noticed, the texts do no match exactly. Though
they share a significant amount of letters, I can't seem to figure out
how to compensate for this.

I tried to troll around to find a suitable solution but I can't seem
to figure it out based on the help for other problems. I have an
inkling this may best be solved using VBA solution but lets see if I
can avoid that since my VB is really rusty.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to elaborate.

~Nic