Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Logical test of text?

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it, not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=T(A1)

"Dredgeboat" wrote:

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it, not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the T() function. Returns text if text.

=IF(T(A1)=A1,"Text","None Text")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Dredgeboat" wrote:

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it, not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try

=IF(ISTEXT(A2),"Y","N")

this will return "Y" if A2 is text, otherwise, it will give you "N"
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Dredgeboat" wrote:

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it, not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(T(A1)=A1,"Text","None Text")

That might be ok but if A1 is an empty cell it'll return "Text".

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dredgeboat" wrote:

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it,
not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Dredgeboat" wrote:
In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it

Be sure to test proposed solutions with the following cases to be sure you
get the results you are looking for (je ne sais quoi):

1. An empty cell; no constant, no formula.

2. A cell with null text. Examples: =""; and =if(true,"")

3. A cell with one or blanks. Examples: =" "; and =if(true," ")

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it,
not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 31 May 2009 10:37:01 -0700, Dredgeboat
wrote:

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it, not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

=LEN(T(A1))0

Will return TRUE if there is text, else FALSE.

It returns error values if there is an error in A1 -- not sure what you want to
do in that case.

Here is an example of how you might use this:

=IF(ISERROR(A1),"Not Text",IF(LEN(T(A1))0,"Text","Not Text"))

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Biff. Totally missed to handle blank cell.
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Dredgeboat" wrote:

In using the If function, I would like to test if a cell has text in it,
not
specific text, just any text, such as a name (Tim Dyer). What do I use to
represent the text in the argument?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
=LEN(T(A1))0

What benefit does this provide that ISTEXT(A1) doesn't other than
propagating errors? Also begs the philosophical question whether "" is
text.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:59:49 -0700 (PDT), Harlan Grove
wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
=LEN(T(A1))0

other than propagating errors?

None that I can see.

Also begs the philosophical question whether "" is text.

Agree.
--ron