Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Zero in cell where it is linked to a blank cell - repost

I have a cell on one sheet in a workbook as =(PL!A27) which is the sheet and
the cell being referenced. I want cell AF1, sheet BOL to automatically fill
in when something is typed into the Cell A27 on the sheet named PL. However
when there is nothing in cell A27, sheet PL, cell AF1, sheet BOL has a Zero
until something is entered into that cell... so what format can I use for all
of the cells being linked to another. Some cells will have all letters, some
will have all numbers and some will be mixed...

A question off this topic... does anyone know how to pull up all of my old
questions on here? I looked in my profile and didn't see anything. I could be
overlooking it.

"texansgal" wrote:

When I enter a formula to link a cell to another cell, the cell that is
copied from the other cell has a ZERO when the linked cell is blank.

What is the format I should use for this to not happen when there are
letters as well as numbers?

Thank you,
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not format but formula
If you replace =PL!A27
with =IF(ISBLANK(PL!A27),"",PL!A27)
then when there is nothing in PL!A27 the cell with the formula will display
nothing - that is ne meaning of "" .... a pair of double quotes with nothing
between them

Please note you do not need the parentheses in =(PL!A27)
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"texansgal" wrote:

When I enter a formula to link a cell to another cell, the cell that is
copied from the other cell has a ZERO when the linked cell is blank.

What is the format I should use for this to not happen when there are
letters as well as numbers?

Thank you,
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(PL!A27="","",PL!A27)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"texansgal" wrote:

When I enter a formula to link a cell to another cell, the cell that is
copied from the other cell has a ZERO when the linked cell is blank.

What is the format I should use for this to not happen when there are
letters as well as numbers?

Thank you,
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much! I will try these. I am still trying to learn all of this
without going to classes... I just need to understand what the meaning are of
each symbol being used... and why use the "IF" and so on... I have so much to
learn! lol

"texansgal" wrote:

When I enter a formula to link a cell to another cell, the cell that is
copied from the other cell has a ZERO when the linked cell is blank.

What is the format I should use for this to not happen when there are
letters as well as numbers?

Thank you,
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hope this helps

"" denotes blank

=IF (condition=something, what to do if condition is true, what to do if
condition is false)

--
If this post helps click Yes