Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Define variable range input for SUM() function

Hi,
I need to be able to sum a range that will vary in size depending upon the
month. For instance, if the month is march, then I would like the SUM
function to pick-up the values in the Jan, Feb, and March columns. However,
if the month is June, I need it to sum the values for all 6 months, etc. So,
if the month is March, the formula would look like =SUM(B2:B4), but June
should look like =SUM(B2:B7). Is there any way to make the range "grow"
(i.e., from B4 to B7) automatically? I'd like to have either text or a
number representing the month in a cell that I could change which would
control the range covered by the SUM() formula. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm still working through this... but why doesn't the following formula work?
=SUM(INDIRECT(INDEX(F6:I7,1,1):INDEX(F6:I7,1,F4))) ... where F4 equals an
integer representing a month/column in the range?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try it like this:

=SUM(F6:INDEX(F6:I6,F4))

If F4 is an empty cell the entire range will be calculated.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JeffC" wrote in message
I'm still working through this... but why doesn't the following formula
work?
=SUM(INDIRECT(INDEX(F6:I7,1,1):INDEX(F6:I7,1,F4))) ... where F4 equals an
integer representing a month/column in the range?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JeffC" wrote in message