Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Derive Average

I have a year end number (Cell B5) and I can derive my Q4 number by summing
Q1 + Q2 + Q3, and subtracting the result from Q4. How do I do this for an
average? I know my averages are wrong when I look in the bottom right corner
of Excel, for the 'quick calculation'. When I mouse-over this range, I
should see a number that equals the year end number...

--
Ryan---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ryguy7272 wrote:
I have a year end number (Cell B5) and I can derive my Q4 number by summing
Q1 + Q2 + Q3, and subtracting the result from Q4. How do I do this for an
average? I know my averages are wrong when I look in the bottom right corner
of Excel, for the 'quick calculation'. When I mouse-over this range, I
should see a number that equals the year end number...

Huh? This is circular and cannot work as you described. You cannot
"derive Q4 by summing...and subtracting the result from Q4"

Explain further?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, let's say this is the setup:
Cell B5 = 25
Cell E5 = 15
Cell F5 = 30
Cell G5 = 28
Cell D5 is unknown
I want B5 to represent the average of Range("D5:G5").
What function do I put in Cell D5?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

"smartin" wrote:

ryguy7272 wrote:
I have a year end number (Cell B5) and I can derive my Q4 number by summing
Q1 + Q2 + Q3, and subtracting the result from Q4. How do I do this for an
average? I know my averages are wrong when I look in the bottom right corner
of Excel, for the 'quick calculation'. When I mouse-over this range, I
should see a number that equals the year end number...

Huh? This is circular and cannot work as you described. You cannot
"derive Q4 by summing...and subtracting the result from Q4"

Explain further?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Of course! Its amazing how sometimes you go off on a tangent, and just
cant see the solution, even when it is staring you right in the face.
Thanks David!!
Ryan--

--
Ryan---