Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Creating an if then function to manage deductions from different c

I am trying to build a worksheet that deducts a value from each cell in a
column in a row until the column equals zero and then begins deducting from
another column when there is a zero value in the original column with the
general if equation =IF((H3*(1+$O$43))<0, 0, H3*(1+$O$43)). The problem I
run into is that if the deducted amount is for instance 600K and the column
value is 400 K the incremental 200K never gets accounted for which should
have been deducted from column 2.
I am using Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can replace your =IF((H3*(1+$O$43))<0, 0, H3*(1+$O$43)) by
=MAX(H3*(1+$O$43),0).
I don't understand how that formula relates to your discussion of deducted
amount, column value, and incremental.
--
David Biddulph

Michael Cook wrote:
I am trying to build a worksheet that deducts a value from each cell
in a column in a row until the column equals zero and then begins
deducting from another column when there is a zero value in the
original column with the general if equation =IF((H3*(1+$O$43))<0,
0, H3*(1+$O$43)). The problem I run into is that if the deducted
amount is for instance 600K and the column value is 400 K the
incremental 200K never gets accounted for which should have been
deducted from column 2.
I am using Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Creating an if then function to manage deductions from differe

The general setup is that there are two columns(accounts) with assumed growth
rate, I am pulling annual expenses out mid year while growing the assets.
over a 40 year time frame account A gets eroded to the extent where there is
zero value in the account (presumably this would happen in the middle of the
year) and therefore sometime in the middle of the year I would like to stop
drawing assets from the first column (Account 1) and begin drawing assets
from the second column (column 2). My issue with the if statement was that
if you built the if statement to say if column B <= 0 subtract from column B
then there would be a negative value for one of the asset accounts for a
given year which I would like not to have.

I guess I'm just looking for the best way to make it accurate, I'm a CPA
with only some amount of skill at excel and was hoping to build a retirement
calculation for a client.

Thanks Again for your help

You can replayour =IF((H3*(1+$O$43))<0, 0, H3*(1+$O$43)) by