Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Formula Question

I need: If column X is blank, use the value in column U; otherwise, the value
is 0.

I wrote: =IF(X3=" ",U3,0)

Unfortunately, it's returning 0 for everything, even when X is empty.
What's the correct formula I should be using?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think you want that space between the quote marks (a space is an
actual character, you want to test for the absence of any characters); try
it this way...

=IF(X3="",U3,0)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"king60611" wrote in message
I need: If column X is blank, use the value in column U; otherwise, the
value
is 0.

I wrote: =IF(X3=" ",U3,0)

Unfortunately, it's returning 0 for everything, even when X is empty.
What's the correct formula I should be using?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Get rid of the space between the quotes because currently TRUE is a space in
column X

=IF(X3="",U3,0)

Mike