Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with Vlookup

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let us know how your data is arranged. and also the formula you have used./
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
Check that the names are identical sometimes one of them has an space or
other simbol,

2) Highlight both columns and do text to columns

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The data is arranged in 2 excel spreadsheets in columns. The names are
written the same way and both formatted as text. I hve tried formatting both
columns same way. same problem. If I retype both names in the two
spreadsheets the correct info is returned.

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please check for spaces in your original data.
Try =LEN(A1) and compare the len. If different TRIM your data and try lookup..

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The data is arranged in columns in excel spreadsheets. The names are
displaying the same way. I have formatted them all as text. The formula I use
is :=VLOOKUP(38, A2:C10, 3, FALSE).

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Confused wrote...
The data is arranged in 2 excel spreadsheets in columns. The names are
written the same way and both formatted as text. I hve tried formatting both
columns same way. same problem. If I retype both names in the two
spreadsheets the correct info is returned.

Formatting is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. Formatting changes only how cells
are displayed, not the cells' underlying values. Formulas work only on
the underlying values which formatting doesn't affect.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is 38 the number you are looking for. In your orignal post you have mentioned
that you are looking the name to get the email id.

Try replacing the number with a text string which is present in the table
and see..
=VLOOKUP("John", A2:C10, 3, FALSE)

If this dont work please let us know how the data is arranged...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
If you retype the names and works there is something different, try in both
columns

=trim(a1)
and copy all the way down

"Confused" wrote:

I am using Vlookup to find names in one file and replace it with emails from
another. The two names exist in both files but i get all #N/A . How can I
resolve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cheers..

If this post helps click Yes