Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average function

I am trying to create a daily average in a spreadsheet. Here is my situation.

I have a row of sums of columns that I want to average. Data is filled into
the columns daily in a month so there are days that have no data as that date
hasn't gotten here yet, but there is a '0' in the sum row because of the sum
function because there are line items in the column that are filled in when
the day arrives.

How do I create a 'running' DAILY average so that it does not count the '0'
fields in the average?

Example is dated columns, 4/1/2009, 4/2/2009, etc., each with lines items
beneath that populate a 'sum' total say of volume. I want to create a
running daily average field that shows what the average is as of the last
data entered.

I was thinking something like =Average (B180:i180) but this sure isn't
working!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In general =AVERAGE() will ignore blanks, but accept zeros. One technique is
to force zeros to become blanks. For example, if you have

=SUM(A1:A10)
use:
=IF(SUM(A1:A10)=0,"",SUM(A1:A10))
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200848

"Harriet" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(B18:H18)/COUNTIF(B18:H18,"<0")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Harriet" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank for you for sharing your knowledge!

Harriet

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

=SUM(B18:H18)/COUNTIF(B18:H18,"<0")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Harriet" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cheers..

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

"Harriet" wrote:

Thank for you for sharing your knowledge!

Harriet

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

=SUM(B18:H18)/COUNTIF(B18:H18,"<0")

If this post helps click Yes