Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Converting time to number, i.e. 2:32 to 2.32

I'm figuring song royalties based on the length of the song. My songs are
listed in minutes/seconds, such as 2:32. In order to calculate the royalty,
I need the time converted to a number. Multiplying by 24 does not work. I
simply need a song length like 2:32 converted to 2.32. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could convert it into decimal minutes like this:

=A1*24*60

which will show as 2.53333 etc.

If you really want it in the form you show, you could do this:

=MINUTE(A1)+SECOND(A1)/100

but you should not really do any arithmetic directly on that.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 22, 4:34*pm, Kokomojo
wrote:
I'm figuring song royalties based on the length of the song. *My songs are
listed in minutes/seconds, such as 2:32. *In order to calculate the royalty,
I need the time converted to a number. *Multiplying by 24 does not work.. *I
simply need a song length like 2:32 converted to 2.32. *Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why do you want 2:32 converting to 2.32? Perhaps you've forgotten that
there are 60 seconds in a minute?
2 minutes and 32 seconds is 2.5333333 minutes.
If you have 0:2:32 and multiply by 24*60, you'll get 2.5333333
If you have 2:32:0 (i.e. 2 hours and 32 minutes) and multiply by 24 you'll
get 2.5333333

What number did you get when you multiplied by 24? What do you mean by
"does not work"?
--
David Biddulph

"Kokomojo" wrote in message
I'm figuring song royalties based on the length of the song. My songs are
listed in minutes/seconds, such as 2:32. In order to calculate the
royalty,
I need the time converted to a number. Multiplying by 24 does not work.
simply need a song length like 2:32 converted to 2.32. Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are right on all counts. Thank you!

"Glenn" wrote:

Kokomojo wrote:
I'm figuring song royalties based on the length of the song. My songs are
listed in minutes/seconds, such as 2:32. In order to calculate the royalty,
I need the time converted to a number. Multiplying by 24 does not work. I
simply need a song length like 2:32 converted to 2.32. Thank you!

Are you sure you don't want 2:32 converted to 2.5333?

=MINUTE(A1)+SECOND(A1)/60

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

wrote:
I'm figuring song royalties based on the length of the song. *My songs are
listed in minutes/seconds, such as 2:32. *In order to calculate the royalty,
I need the time converted to a number. *Multiplying by 24 does not work.. *I
simply need a song length like 2:32 converted to 2.32. *Thank you!- Hide quoted text -