Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup and column reference problems

When considering this formula =VLOOKUP(B3,Master!$A$3:$O$4180,3,FALSE) the
,3, refers to the second column to the right of a reference column on the
Master sheet.

Using this formula and the following table where column C is the reference
column and the ,3, refers to column €˜E; is there a way to refer to a column
to the left of the reference column i.e. column €˜A?

MASTER sheet
A B C D E F
Ambeault Chelsea 1 Ambeault Kyla RR2
Anderson Cache 2 Anderson Shelley 419 Riverpark Dr
Ansell Jaime 3 Ansell Dave 9609-100 Street
Ansell Sean 4 Ansell Dave 3937-51 Street
Antoniuk Braden 5 Antoniuk Chantal 8146-94 Avenue
Arbuckle Jay 6 Arbuckle Gail 10 Westwood Wynd
Banh Shally 7 Banh Tien 10 Westwood Wynd
Barbour Michael 8 Barbour Dianna 438 Riverpark Dr

Suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
ksean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I don't understand the question, in Vlookup the column that 3 refers to is
'always' the third column and the first column 'A' is always the one being
looked up. Perhaps you would be better giving us the lookup value and what
you expect to be returned from that but it sounds like you may mean INDEX &
MATCH.

Mike

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=VLOOKUP(B3,Master!$A$3:$O$4180,3,FALSE)

Here's what your formula means in plain English:

Look for the value of cell B3 in the range Master!A3:A4180 and, if found,
return the value from the corresponding cell in Master!C3:C4180.

Is that what you had in mind?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please let me rework my question and correct my table with the following
example

I have three sheets of data, the first sheet is named €œMASTER€ the second
sheet is named €œKIDS€ and the third sheet is named €œPARENTS€

On the MASTER sheet I have a database of kids names complete with addresses
and parents names
MASTER sheet example
A B C D E F G
1 No. Last First Address No. Last First
2 1 Ambeault Chelsea RR2 3 Ambeault Kyla
3 6 Anderson Cache 419 Riverpark Dr 5 Anderson Shelley
4 11 Ansell Jaime 9609-100 Street 18 Ansell Dave
5 3 Ansell Sean 3937-51 Street 35 Ansell Dave
6 25 Antoniuk Braden 8146-94 Avenue 215 Antoniuk Chantal
7 9 Arbuckle Jay 10 Westwood Wynd 159 Arbuckle Gail
8 17 Banh Shally 10 Westwood Wynd 7 Banh Tien
9 21 Barbour Michael 438 Riverpark Dr 87 Barbour Dianna

On the KIDS sheet I have a database that consists of the kids names and
addresses. The formula that I am using is
=VLOOKUP(A3,master!$A$1:$O$177,2,FALSE) and it works very well.
KIDS sheet example
A B C D
1 No. Last First Address
2 1 Ambeault Chelsea RR2
3 3 Ansell Sean 3937-51 Street
4 6 Anderson Cache 419 Riverpark Dr
5 9 Arbuckle Jay 10 Westwood Wynd
6 11 Ansell Jaime 9609-100 Street
7 17 Banh Shally 10 Westwood Wynd
8 21 Barbour Michael 438 Riverpark Dr
9 25 Antoniuk Braden 8146-94 Avenue

On the PARENTS sheet I have a database that consists of the parents names
and addresses. The formula that I am using
=VLOOKUP(F3,master!$E$1:$O$177,2,FALSE) and it works very well for the names
but I cannot figure out how to reference the addresses.
PARENTS sheet example
A B C D
1 No. Last First Address
2 3 Ambeault Kyla ?
3 5 Anderson Shelley ?
4 7 Banh Tien ?
5 18 Ansell Dave ?
6 35 Ansell Dave ?
7 87 Barbour Dianna ?
8 159 Arbuckle Gail ?
9 215 Antoniuk Chantal ?

How do I get the address from the MASTER sheet to appear in the correct
place on the PARENTS sheet while only referencing the PARENTS No.s from
column €˜E on the MASTER sheet?

Thanks
ksean

PS I don't know how to fix the MASTER table so it displays better in this
forum...sorry!

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I understand the parts that you have referenced but I am still missing
something here. What about the '3' ?

Please look ant my 2nd attempt at explaining my delemma.

Thanks
ksean

"ksean" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What about the '3'?
The '3' is the third column. Your range is from column A to column O. Excel
simply starts counting from the first column in your range. So column A is
1, column B is 2 and column C is 3. That's why your Vlookup will return the
value in column C.

Regards,
Fred.

"ksean" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=VLOOKUP(B3,Master!$A$3:$O$4180,3,FALSE)
What about the '3' ?

The table array is A3:O4180. The 3 refers to the 3rd column relative to the
table array. The 3rd column of the table array is column C, C3:C4180.

Please look ant my 2nd attempt at explaining my delemma.

See my other reply there.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Enter this array formula** on the Parents sheet in cell D2:

=INDEX(Master!D$2:D$9,MATCH(1,(Master!F$2:F$9=B2)* (Master!G$2:G$9=C2),0))

key then hit ENTER.

Copy down as needed.

Note that in your sample data there are duplicate parent names with
different addresses:

4 11 Ansell Jaime 9609-100 Street 18 Ansell Dave
5 3 Ansell Sean 3937-51 Street 35 Ansell Dave

The above formula will *only* find the address for the first instance of the
parent names.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote in message
Please let me rework my question and correct my table with the following
example

I have three sheets of data, the first sheet is named "MASTER" the second
sheet is named "KIDS" and the third sheet is named "PARENTS"

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

I don't understand the question, in Vlookup the column that 3 refers to
is
'always' the third column and the first column 'A' is always the one
being
looked up. Perhaps you would be better giving us the lookup value and
what
you expect to be returned from that but it sounds like you may mean INDEX
&
MATCH.

Mike

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

WOW... this formula is absolutly AWESOME!!

I would never of thought in a million years to hit 'CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER' to
activate the formula!

It works really well on my small sample I just need to adapt it to my real
working spreadsheets which ares substantially larger. Is there anything I
should watch for when I start attempting to adapt this formula?

Thanks
ksean

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is there anything I should watch for when I
start attempting to adapt this formula?

Well, like with *any* formula the bigger the range references the longer it
takes for the formula to calculate.

Also, since this is an array formula you can't use entire columns as range
references *unless* you're using Excel 2007. For example, you can't do this
*unless* you're using Excel 2007

=INDEX(Master!D:D,MATCH(1,(Master!F:F=B2)*(Master! G:G=C2),0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

Enter this array formula** on the Parents sheet in cell D2:

=INDEX(Master!D$2:D$9,MATCH(1,(Master!F$2:F$9=B2)* (Master!G$2:G$9=C2),0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well... I am now in way over my head. :(

The example I provided and that you solved, very nicely I should add,
requires that the formula searches one column for the identifier, I don't
suppose that you could tell me how I can adapt your formula to search three
separate columns (i.e €˜E, €˜I and €˜M) and return with a '----' if it cannot
find a solution? You matched the data in columns €˜F & €˜G but I need to
match data that may be in columns F&G or J&K or N&O

The problem is that I am not just searching in one column for the
identifier, but I am searching for the identifier in three separate columns
(€˜E, €˜I and €˜M) and if an answer cannot be found the formula needs to
returns with '----'.

Sorry to snowball this dilemma but I really do appreciate your help.

Oh and by the way I am running Excel 2003 so thanks for the tip about
Arrays and whole columns. I guess I will have to stick with specific ranges
until I upgrade the program.

Thanks again,
Ksean

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You'll have to refresh my memory! I'm gettin old!

I'm a bit confused over this:

search three separate columns (i.e 'E', 'I' and 'M')

I need to match data that may be in columns F&G or J&K or N&O

So, which columns do you need to search?

Is this an "or" condition? For example, the lookup value might be in any one
of 3 columns. It might be in column E or it might be in column I or it might
be in column M. And, the lookup value will not be in more than 1 of those
columns

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes I believe that this is an 'OR' condition and the value will NOT be in
more than one location.

The original 'Parents' sheet I sent had column E = Identifier, F = Parents
last name and G = parents first name using 3 columns for his information. In
actuality my sheet has 3 sets of this information side by side using up 9
columns. First group of 3 columns (E,F,G) pertains to parent #1, second group
of 3 columns (I,J,K) pertains to parent #2 and the 3rd group of 3 columns
(M,N,O) pertains to parent #3. This format of columns allows me to deal with
children who have divorced parents.

Your formula allowed me to search for a parent in the first group of 3
columns and attach the Childs address from Column 'D' on the 'Master' sheet I
need the formula to search all three groups of 3 columns in order to obtain
the answer and if there is no answer then respond with "----".

I hope that better explains my prediciment if not then the only way I can
think to explain it is to send you my spreadsheet and I have no idea how to
do that.

Thanks,
Kerry

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I'd need to see the data setup. If you want to send a copy of the
file I'm at:

xl can help at comcast period net

Remove "can" and change the obvious. If the file is big zip it!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

xl can help at comcast period net

Remove the word "can". Remove all the spaces. Replace the word "at" with the
at sign. Replace the word "period" with a dot.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

Enter this array formula** on the Parents sheet in cell D2:

=INDEX(Master!D$2:D$9,MATCH(1,(Master!F$2:F$9=B2)* (Master!G$2:G$9=C2),0))

** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination
of