Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What is the function to randomly select a cell, like for lottery?

Using Excel, I have a list of names and I need to randomly select one at a
time. How do I create the function to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INDEX(A:A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA(A:A)))

"ap@rfr" wrote:

Using Excel, I have a list of names and I need to randomly select one at a
time. How do I create the function to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Say the names are in column A from A2 thru A1000, then:

=OFFSET($A$1,RANDBETWEEN(1,999),0)
will pick a random name
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200846

"ap@rfr" wrote:

Using Excel, I have a list of names and I need to randomly select one at a
time. How do I create the function to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What is the function to randomly select a cell, like for lotte

Thank you, this seems like good advice, but my list is in column A
(A1-A1400); where do enter the formula?