Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default countif with multiple functions

I have a speadsheet with pultiple worksheets

worksheet Jan has Col F that contain Intitials such as CL and Col C that
contains letter and numbers, such as NCO15 or Uko15.

On worksheet Parts, I have a cell with the initial, and i need a formula
that counts how many times the innitial in that cell appear in Jan column F,
as long as the Jan Col C corresponding data begins with the letter N.

After much research I wrtote this formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((JAN!F:F=Parts!A3)*(JAN!C:C="n*")) However I am still getting
an error.. Can someone see where i am going wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A couple of things:

1. Don't use the full columns; use something like A1:A1000 and C1:C1000
3. Avoid the wildcard here; incorporate something like LEFT(A1:A1000,1)="N"

Don't give up on SUMPRODUCT(). It is the best approach. See:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200843

"mdcgpw" wrote:

I have a speadsheet with pultiple worksheets

worksheet Jan has Col F that contain Intitials such as CL and Col C that
contains letter and numbers, such as NCO15 or Uko15.

On worksheet Parts, I have a cell with the initial, and i need a formula
that counts how many times the innitial in that cell appear in Jan column F,
as long as the Jan Col C corresponding data begins with the letter N.

After much research I wrtote this formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((JAN!F:F=Parts!A3)*(JAN!C:C="n*")) However I am still getting
an error.. Can someone see where i am going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you, I tried changing it to the following but it still did not work,
now I am getting a #Value! error, before it a #name

=SUMPRODUCT((JAN!G2:G500=Parts!A3)*LEFT(JAN!C2:C50 0="N"))

"mdcgpw" wrote:

I have a speadsheet with pultiple worksheets

worksheet Jan has Col F that contain Intitials such as CL and Col C that
contains letter and numbers, such as NCO15 or Uko15.

On worksheet Parts, I have a cell with the initial, and i need a formula
that counts how many times the innitial in that cell appear in Jan column F,
as long as the Jan Col C corresponding data begins with the letter N.

After much research I wrtote this formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((JAN!F:F=Parts!A3)*(JAN!C:C="n*")) However I am still getting
an error.. Can someone see where i am going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Paste this:

=SUMPRODUCT((JAN!G2:G500="xxx")*(LEFT(JAN!C2:C500, 1)="N"))

We really need that ,1 in the LEFT() function.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200843