Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Text from excel address

I need the formula to go to the excel address, find the contents which is
in text and return the text for the conditional statement. I need it to look
up text horizontally by excel address and put text in the conditional
statement so I don't have to go to the first row of letters (A1-F1) and
return the letter to the conditional statment individually by hand. I would
then like to fill the formula to the right as well as fill down.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

So for the range or individually
=IF(A2=A1:F1, "*", A2)

=IF(A2="B", "*", A2) for formula in A2
=IF(B2="C", "*", B2) for formula in B2
=IF (C2="E", "*", C2) for formula in C2 and so on to F2

B C E B C E
B A E B D E
D C D D C D
E C C E C C
B D E B D E
D C D D C D
E C C E C C
B D E B D E
D C D D C D
E C C E C C

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(A2="B", "*", A2) for formula in A2
=IF(B2="C", "*", B2) for formula in B2
=IF (C2="E", "*", C2) for formula in C2

You "can't" enter a formula in a cell that refers to that same cell. That's
called a circular reference. For example:

You can't enter this formula in cell A2:

=IF(A2="B", "*", A2)

Need a better explanation of what you're wanting to do.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Susan on the Boat" wrote in