Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default #N/A error with Yield formula

Hello all, I have a someone sharing excel 2007 spreadsheets with others using
excel 2003. She is saving it in the 2003 format and everyone has the
neccesary toopak addin's installed but they randomly get the #N/A error with
the following formula's:

=(YIELD(TODAY()+3,L11,((VLOOKUP(YEAR(L11)-YEAR(TODAY()),$Q$12:$R$27,2,FALSE)+J12/100))/100,I12,100,4)*100)

=YIELD($AC$1,K4,D4+$T$2,I4,100,4)

Is there any workaround to this compatibility issue? or do they all need to
be on the same version?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:23:03 -0700, Eddie
wrote:

Hello all, I have a someone sharing excel 2007 spreadsheets with others using
excel 2003. She is saving it in the 2003 format and everyone has the
neccesary toopak addin's installed but they randomly get the #N/A error with
the following formula's:

=(YIELD(TODAY()+3,L11,((VLOOKUP(YEAR(L11)-YEAR(TODAY()),$Q$12:$R$27,2,FALSE)+J12/100))/100,I12,100,4)*100)

=YIELD($AC$1,K4,D4+$T$2,I4,100,4)

Is there any workaround to this compatibility issue? or do they all need to
be on the same version?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

What makes you think it is a compatibility issue?

The #N/A error can arise for many reasons.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
What makes you think it is a compatibility issue?
The #N/A error can arise for many reasons.

Please expand on this, for the benefit of all of us.

The YIELD help page does not mention any conditions under which YIELD should
return #N/A.

(I am looking at the Excel 2003 help page. I do not have access to Excel
2007.)

The only reasons I am aware of is: the YIELD formula refers, directly or
indirectly, to a cell that uses the NA() function or to a UDF that returns
CVerr(xlErrNA).

There have many reports over the years where Excel 2007 inexplicably returns
#N/A for such functions as XIRR and EDATE; now we can add YIELD to the list.

In some recent threads, the OP insists those conditions do not apply. Also,
sometimes user's say this happens "intermittently". Of course, that is
subject to user interpretation, as well as the Greg House Rule ;-).

In any case, I have not seen a response that explains this behavior
dispositively. If you can, it would resolve many unanswered questions.

PS: Note that the OP said #N/A, not #NAME?. Although I cannot speak for
this situation, in the past the OP has confirmed that he/she does indeed
mean #N/A, not #NAME?.

----- original posting -----

wrote:

Hello all, I have a someone sharing excel 2007 spreadsheets with others
using
excel 2003. She is saving it in the 2003 format and everyone has the
neccesary toopak addin's installed but they randomly get the #N/A error
with
the following formula's:

=(YIELD(TODAY()+3,L11,((VLOOKUP(YEAR(L11)-YEAR(TODAY()),$Q$12:$R$27,2,FALSE)+J12/100))/100,I12,100,4)*100)

=YIELD($AC$1,K4,D4+$T$2,I4,100,4)

Is there any workaround to this compatibility issue? or do they all need
be on the same version?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

What makes you think it is a compatibility issue?

The #N/A error can arise for many reasons.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"JoeU2004" wrote:
The only reasons I am aware of is: the YIELD
formula refers, directly or indirectly, to a cell
that uses the NA() function or to a UDF that returns CVerr(xlErrNA).

.... Or to a cell with lookup function that returns #N/A.

In any case, at least in the past, users claim that nothing changed in the
worksheets, other than opening them in Excel 2007, and they sometimes claim
that the problem is intermittently, allegedly with no changes.

----- original posting -----

wrote:

Hello all, I have a someone sharing excel 2007 spreadsheets with others
using
excel 2003. She is saving it in the 2003 format and everyone has the
neccesary toopak addin's installed but they randomly get the #N/A error
with
the following formula's:

=(YIELD(TODAY()+3,L11,((VLOOKUP(YEAR(L11)-YEAR(TODAY()),$Q$12:$R$27,2,FALSE)+J12/100))/100,I12,100,4)*100)

=YIELD($AC$1,K4,D4+$T$2,I4,100,4)

Is there any workaround to this compatibility issue? or do they all need
be on the same version?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

What makes you think it is a compatibility issue?

The #N/A error can arise for many reasons.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:23:51 -0700, "JoeU2004" wrote:

Please expand on this, for the benefit of all of us.

The YIELD help page does not mention any conditions under which YIELD should
return #N/A.

The HELP pages on the #N/A error gives general information that is applicable
to all functions.

(I am looking at the Excel 2003 help page. I do not have access to Excel
2007.)

The only reasons I am aware of is: the YIELD formula refers, directly or
indirectly, to a cell that uses the NA() function or to a UDF that returns
CVerr(xlErrNA).

In addition, a malformed formula can return #N/A. For example, using the
formula given in 2007 HELP

Original: =YIELD(A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8)

But the following are some possible typos that can cause the YIELD function to
return a #N/A error:

=YIELD(,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8)

or

=YIELD(A2,A3,,A5,A6,A7,A8)

In some formulas, leaving an argument blank (e.g. A2,,A4,A5...) works, and in
others it does not.

I am not familiar with the OP's previous postings. So I don't know if he has
appropriately verified that the formulas involved have been properly entered.
(I prefer to see a copy/paste of formulas and data that result in errors,
rather than just typing that information into the message).

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
I am not familiar with the OP's previous postings.

I was not referring to Eddie when I wrote: "In some recent threads, the OP
insists those conditions do not apply". I should have written "the OP of
those threads". As I said, this type of problem has been reported off and
on over several years, which is why I am beginning to think there is
something more to it than human error

But I do agree that human error is the most likely explanation.

The HELP pages on the #N/A error gives general
information that is applicable to all functions.

Good pointer. I had trouble finding this help page, even after you
mentioned it. I foolishly typed #N/A and N/A before I thought of typing
simply NA.

Can you tell me what is meant by "a custom function that is not available"?

When I try a bogus UDF name, I get the #NAME? error.

I assume that none of the other reasons applies because in this instance, as
in the others in the past, the OPs (different ones) all report that the
problem arises with workbooks that are generally working and only "randomly"
(intermittently) fail.

(But of course, the Greg House Rule might apply. :-)

My suspicion is that the workbook refers to a file that is not available to
one user or another for some reason. But when I try to duplicate some of
those conditions, I do not get a #N/A error per se. Then again, I have only
Excel 2003.

Another possibility: the workbook links to data in external files, and that
data causes a #N/A error from a lookup or match function. I had forgotton
that lookup functions return #N/A when the data is not copacetic.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:04:57 -0700, "JoeU2004" wrote:

(But of course, the Greg House Rule might apply. :-)

There are actually many House Rules. Perhaps this one?:

"Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed
up."

:-)

Given the many ways this rule could manifest itself to result in an #N/A error,
in this NG format, I think we have to start with copy/paste of the formula, all
the precedents and the output.

The results of the formula evaluation wizard and the Trace Error method might
also be useful.

And if that doesn't provide a clue then get into details of the environment.
--ron