Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Import Text Wizard Only Returns One Row

I import txt files all the time with no problems, now when I try to import
using excel, it only imports the first row only?

--
Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not enough information to give a meaningful answer...
Paste the first three lines from the text file here...

It may not have any line breaks... it may not be a pure text file... it may
even have only one record :-)

Possible tests...
1. Open the txt file, press ENTER where you think the end of first row
should be and then try to import...

2. Copy the first row and paste it a few times below the first row in the
txt file and import...

"RichNida" wrote:

I import txt files all the time with no problems, now when I try to import
using excel, it only imports the first row only?

--
Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please let us know more about the format of the file.

One of the reasons would be the text file may not be separated with a vbCRLF
but only with vbLF

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"RichNida" wrote:

I import txt files all the time with no problems, now when I try to import
using excel, it only imports the first row only?

--
Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It was the vbCRLF. I tried it again and this time I paned across on the
Import Wizard and also across the worksheet - it is all on one line.

I have done this a number of times before using the same process. (ex. open
iTunes, export Library to text file, open excel, select Open from menu and
select the text file that I saved.). It would import correctly, now it acts
different.

When looking at the Import Wizard I seen just one line (did not think to
pane across, all the way to the end) and when it imported again all the data
was on one line.

I copied the text file to MS Word and turned on "Show All Formating Marks",
where the wrap should have happen is two dots (spaces), which I did a
"Find/Replace", then I copied that back to the text file and the import
process worked correctly.

Thanks very much for your reply.
--
Richard