Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Dynamic Worksheet Name

I have a summary sheet and it contains a column with the sheet name of the
detail data.

c79 contains sheet names such as 0, 0.1, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 12a, 100,
101

I would like to use the sheet name to select data statistics from the detail
sheets and bring them into the summary sheet. I am looking for statistics
such as max of one column and the range (high and low) of the top 10 percent
of other multiple columns. I have looked through the discussions and have
tried to use the indirect("'"&a2&"'!... I don't exactly understand the
functional purpose of the ' and the & so I'm not sure if it is my
comprehension of if it is not possible to use a statistical function inside
the indirect function. Is there another means to collect the details from
the data sheets?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INDIRECT("'"&C79 &"'!A1")
Suppose Sheet1 C79 = "1"
The above will return cell A1 value from Sheet named "1". Hope this is clear

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"jack" wrote:

I have a summary sheet and it contains a column with the sheet name of the
detail data.

c79 contains sheet names such as 0, 0.1, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 12a, 100,
101

I would like to use the sheet name to select data statistics from the detail
sheets and bring them into the summary sheet. I am looking for statistics
such as max of one column and the range (high and low) of the top 10 percent
of other multiple columns. I have looked through the discussions and have
tried to use the indirect("'"&a2&"'!... I don't exactly understand the
functional purpose of the ' and the & so I'm not sure if it is my
comprehension of if it is not possible to use a statistical function inside
the indirect function. Is there another means to collect the details from
the data sheets?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank-you Jacob,
That does get a cell in the detail sheet. Maybe I'm obtuse here. How would
I get the MAX of a column with that access method? By the way, I use rc
notation so that is actually column 79 contains the name of the detail sheet
for each summary row in the summary sheet.

That cell would be =INDIRECT("'"&RC79&"'!r1c1",FALSE)