Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Array with multiple selection criteria

I have a 3 column list. Two columns have criteria which must be true in order
to select the value of the third (numeric) column. For example:

Sheet 1
Col 1 Col2 Amount
CF AMI 1000.00
CI AMI 230.00
CF BLV 1500.00
CI BLV 160.00

I want to insert these values in a separate sheet, according to my selection
rules, for example:

Sheet 2
Cell A6 If column 1 = CF and column 2 = AMI insert contents of column 3
Cell A7 If column 1 = CF and column 2 = BLV insert contents of column 3
Cell B6 If column 1 = CI and column 2 = AMI insert contents of column 3
Cell B7 If column 1 = CI and column 2 = BLV insert contents of column 3

This is a very simple query, but my issue is that I am not sure if I should
use a lookup or a nested IF statement, or if there is another function that I
should use instead. Please advise.
--
Robert Robinson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have only a few values then use IF otherwise VLOOKUP...

Since you have two conditons... combine them (in the lookup range) in one
column with A1&B1
the in VLOOKUP lookup on A1&B1

"Robert Robinson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No need to have a separator... unless you want to have it for readability..

For example if Sheet 1 (the lookup range) has LastName in Col A, FirstName
in Col B, and Age in Col C...

Now if you want to find the AGE for LastName in Col A of Sheet2 and
FirstName in Col B of Sheet2...

Insert a Col before COl A of Sheet1 and enter the formula
=A1&B1
and copy down...

and in Sheet2 C1 enter
=VLOOKUP(A1&B1, Sheet1!A:D,4,False)

IF you have any separator in the formula for Col A of SHeet1 then you need
to have the same in the VLOOKUP too...

"Robert Robinson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sheet 2
Cell A6 If column 1 = CF and column 2 = AMI insert contents of column 3
Cell A7 If column 1 = CF and column 2 = BLV insert contents of column 3
Cell B6 If column 1 = CI and column 2 = AMI insert contents of column 3
Cell B7 If column 1 = CI and column 2 = BLV insert contents of column 3

A6:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A10="CF"),--(Sheet1!B1:B10="AMI"),Sheet1!C1:C10)

A7:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A10="CF"),--(Sheet1!B1:B10="BLV"),Sheet1!C1:C10)

B6:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A10="CI"),--(Sheet1!B1:B10="AMI"),Sheet1!C1:C10)

B7:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A10="CI"),--(Sheet1!B1:B10="BLV"),Sheet1!C1:C10)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Robert Robinson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ashish -

Thank you for the reply. I replicated the grid as you did (data in D6-F9, CF
in D12, BLV in E12) and used your formula, but am getting a #VALUE error.
Odd...
--
Robert Robinson

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

You can use this array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter). I have assumed that the
data below is in range D6:F9. D12 and E12 have CF and BLV

=INDEX($D$6:$F$9,MATCH(D12&E12,D6:D9&E6:E9,0),3)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Robert Robinson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Did you do the Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Robert Robinson" wrote in
message ...

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may mail me the file at ask(at)ashishmathur(dot)com

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Robert Robinson" wrote in