Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default getting pivot to show finctions data calcs across columns, not down rows

Hi, I have some data like (# rows obviously paired down for size):

this thing1 50
this thing1 70
this thing1 12
this thing2 75
this thing2 20
this thing2 100
this thing2 90
that thing1 200
that thing1 150
that thing1 122
that thing3 40
that thing3 42
that thing3 38
other thing1 20
other thing1 22
other thing1 50
other thing3 32
other thing3 38
other thing3 20

The calc functions I need to do are Counts, Min, Max, Avg.

This is what I can get.... but below this is what I need.

Item1 Item2 Data Total
other thing1 Count 3
Min 20
Max 50
Average 30.7
thing3 Count 3
Min 20
Max 38
Average 30.0
that thing1 Count 3
Min 122
Max 200
Average 157.3
thing3 Count 3
Min 38
Max 42
Average 40.0
this thing1 Count 3
Min 12
Max 70
Average 44.0
thing2 Count 4
Min 20
Max 100
Average 71.3

What I need is something like this: Is this doable via pivot? If yes,
how?

Item1 Item2 Count Min Max Average
other thing1 3 20 50 30.7
thing3 3 20 38 30
that thing1 3 122 200 157.3
thing3 3 38 42 40
this thing1 3 12 70 44
thing2 4 20 100 71.3

Pete Derkowski

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, the cut/pastes didn't come out very good....

Here is the data:
this thing1 50
this thing1 70
this thing1 12
this thing2 75
this thing2 20
this thing2 100
this thing2 90
that thing1 200
that thing1 150
that thing1 122
that thing3 40
that thing3 42
that thing3 38
other thing1 20
other thing1 22
other thing1 50
other thing3 32
other thing3 38
other thing3 20

What I get is like: :

Item1 Item2 Data
[...]

Hope this formates rights when I save it..

Pete Derkowski

"Pete Derkowski" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's video and you'll be slapping your forehead in
moments:

http://contextures.com/xlVideo001.html

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Holy Crapola!! And to think of all the time I spent the other nite trying
to figure out what menu selection and what options to change to do this... I
was finally dragging and dropping things left and right in layout... I just
didn't do the right drag and drop.

Thanks a Million!

Pete