Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup question

I'm using VLOOKUP to pull a value from a range if the number in C33 finds a
match within that range. Here's the function:

=VLOOKUP(C33,$C$249:$D$390,2,FALSE)

This has always worked, and still occasionally works, but for some reason
it's become unreliable. Here's what I'm trying to match it from and to:

Date Name Number #1 Number #2 (function is in 5th column)
Number Date Number #1 Number #2

So the function is searching for Number #1 found in row 1 and trying to find
Number #1 in row 2. If it finds a match, then it pulls Number #2 from row 2
and puts it into the 5th column of row 1.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

As stated, this is not what the VLOOKUP function is designed to do. This
function

=VLOOKUP(C33,$C$249:$D$390,2,FALSE)

is designed to look for C33 in COLUMN C (C249:C390) and return the entry in
COLUMN 2 of that range (column D).

If you are trying to match a row and then get an item from another row you
need HLOOKUP.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"*zot*" wrote:

I'm using VLOOKUP to pull a value from a range if the number in C33 finds a
match within that range. Here's the function:

=VLOOKUP(C33,$C$249:$D$390,2,FALSE)

This has always worked, and still occasionally works, but for some reason
it's become unreliable. Here's what I'm trying to match it from and to:

Date Name Number #1 Number #2 (function is in 5th column)
Number Date Number #1 Number #2

So the function is searching for Number #1 found in row 1 and trying to find
Number #1 in row 2. If it finds a match, then it pulls Number #2 from row 2
and puts it into the 5th column of row 1.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but here's how your lookup formula
works:

=VLOOKUP(C33,$C$249:$D$390,2,FALSE)

Let's assume C33 = x

The formula is looking for "x" in the range C249:C390. If it finds "x" it
returns the corresponding value from D249:D390. If it doesn't find "x" in
C249:C390 then the formula returns the error #N/A.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"*zot*" wrote in message
I'm using VLOOKUP to pull a value from a range if the number in C33 finds
match within that range. Here's the function:

=VLOOKUP(C33,$C$249:$D$390,2,FALSE)

This has always worked, and still occasionally works, but for some reason
it's become unreliable. Here's what I'm trying to match it from and to:

Date Name Number #1 Number #2 (function is in 5th column)