Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with formula

Please help create a formula/shortcut for the following:
A1=1
A2=1
A3=1
A4=2
A5=2
A6=2
A7=3
A8=3
A9=3
And so on, each number in increment of three, all the way down. Thanks.
Excel 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this in A1 and copy it down....

=1+INT((ROW()-1)/3)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Josh W" wrote in message
Please help create a formula/shortcut for the following:
A1=1
A2=1
A3=1
A4=2
A5=2
A6=2
A7=3
A8=3
A9=3
And so on, each number in increment of three, all the way down. Thanks.
Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way...

Entered in A1 and copied down as needed:

=CEILING(ROWS(A$1:A1)/3,1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Josh W" wrote in message
Please help create a formula/shortcut for the following:
A1=1
A2=1
A3=1
A4=2
A5=2
A6=2
A7=3
A8=3
A9=3
And so on, each number in increment of three, all the way down. Thanks.
Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure what you mean by "merges two cells". What cell did you put the
formula in to start with, A1 as your example showed or some other cell on
some other row? Give this modification to the formula I posted a try and see
if it works for you...

=1+INT((ROW(A1)-1)/3)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)