Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula question

Here is a sample worksheet
A B C D E
sick time used sick time remaining
8 58

I use a worksheet when doing payroll. In column A I enter the amount of sick
time used during the pay period. Column E has the amount of sick time the
employee has left for the year. Is there a formula that I can enter in column
E to automatically reduce the sick time remaining in column E by the amount
used in column A?
Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you mean can the same cell in column E adjust itself based on what is in
column a on that row, the answer is pretty much no. A formula in E2 such as
=E2-A2 would create what is known as a circular reference and Excel doesn't
care very much for those.
Now, if you had another cell on the worksheet that carried the balance from
the start of the pay period from somewhere - and lets say that's up in A1,
you could have a formula in E2 something like =A1-A2.

The "ultimate" solution is to have the previous balance, sick leave accrued
and sick leave taken all available and then your formula becomes
=StartBalance+LeaveAccrued-LeaveUsed
where you'd substitute the cell addresses for those cells in the formula, of
course.