Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average Times by Possible Named Ranges

I have a spreadsheet that I record data every day. In column A, I have (for
example) Mon, Tue, Wed, etc. Then in column H, I have recorded times (for
example) 16:20, 17:30, 15:00 etc. I want averages for (All Days), (Weekdays),
(Weekends) and (Tue, Wed, Thu). Right now I have a simple average formula set
up and each month I have to change the formula to fit the month because the
rows will change. How can I set this up so regardless of the month, the
formula will only look at whether or not it's a Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, etc in
column A and average the time in column H for their respective days?
I hope I explained this well enough.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you, Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Karen
Your description is not clear!
1. "In column A, I have (for example) Mon, Tue, Wed, etc." - what is etc?
the whole month? Are dates associated with the day names?
2. "in column H, I have recorded times (for example) 16:20, 17:30, 15:00
etc." and "the formula will only look at whether or not it's a Mon, Tue, Wed,
Thu, etc in column A and average the time in column H for their respective
days?" How are the recorded times entered into column H - manually, by
formula or VBA?
3. "because the rows will change" How do they change and from what to what?
4. "I have to change the formula to fit the month" What is the formula and
where is it?
Answers to the above may help someone to get closer to a solution for you.

"Karen" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I record data every day. In column A, I have (for
example) Mon, Tue, Wed, etc. Then in column H, I have recorded times (for
example) 16:20, 17:30, 15:00 etc. I want averages for (All Days), (Weekdays),
(Weekends) and (Tue, Wed, Thu). Right now I have a simple average formula set
up and each month I have to change the formula to fit the month because the
rows will change. How can I set this up so regardless of the month, the
formula will only look at whether or not it's a Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, etc in
column A and average the time in column H for their respective days?
I hope I explained this well enough.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Karen;257222 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Karen,
seeing your data would make things easier. You can subscribe freely and
easily to our forum, where you can post a sample of your data, so we can
help you faster.
Hope to see you soon !

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=71800

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm sorry about the lack of explanation.
I have to record times in column H (manually)
Below is an example of the spreadsheet for March
A B H
Row 1 Day Date Time
Row 2 Sun 1 17:45
Row 3 Mon 2 15:30
Row 4 Tue 3 14:00
Row 5 Wed 4 16:30

When I create a spreadsheet for April, it will look like the below because
the day and date change.
A B H
Row 1 Day Date Time
Row 2 Wed 1 15:45
Row 3 Thu 2 15:00
Row 4 Fri 3 14:30
Row 5 Sat 4 15:45

I need to know 4 different averages
The average of all the days (From the 1st day of the month to the last)
The average of the weekdays (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu & Fri)
The average of the weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) and
the average of Tue, Wed & Thu (however manys of those days fall within that
month)

For example: Let's say I want to average the weekend days.
Is there a way to have a formula look up column A and find which days are
Fri, Sat & Sun, then look in column H for their respective times and then
average those times?

I hope that this was a better explanation.
Thank you for your time
Karen