Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default matching or lookup functions

I have 2 columns of data (A and B) both with unique alphanumeric codes in
each cell (unique to each column but not between columns; ie some values are
found in both columns...these are what I need to find and mark).
I would like to know whenever a value in column B is also found in column A.
If the value in a given row in column A is found anywhere in column B, I
would like to return a 1 in the same row of column C (as where the value is
in column A). Otherwise, I want to return a blank.

Can anyone assist? I thought this might be doable with vlookup but I could
not figure out how to look for multiple #s in vlookup function...it seems to
only look for one value.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B$100,A1),1,"")

Adjust the range to suit.

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"anand" wrote in message
I have 2 columns of data (A and B) both with unique alphanumeric codes in
each cell (unique to each column but not between columns; ie some values
are
found in both columns...these are what I need to find and mark).
I would like to know whenever a value in column B is also found in column
A.
If the value in a given row in column A is found anywhere in column B, I
would like to return a 1 in the same row of column C (as where the value
is
in column A). Otherwise, I want to return a blank.

Can anyone assist? I thought this might be doable with vlookup but I could
not figure out how to look for multiple #s in vlookup function...it seems
only look for one value.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

worked like a charm, thanks. I was overthinking it.

anand

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B$100,A1),1,"")

Adjust the range to suit.

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"anand" wrote in message
I have 2 columns of data (A and B) both with unique alphanumeric codes in
each cell (unique to each column but not between columns; ie some values
are
found in both columns...these are what I need to find and mark).
I would like to know whenever a value in column B is also found in column
A.
If the value in a given row in column A is found anywhere in column B, I
would like to return a 1 in the same row of column C (as where the value
is
in column A). Otherwise, I want to return a blank.

Can anyone assist? I thought this might be doable with vlookup but I could
not figure out how to look for multiple #s in vlookup function...it seems
only look for one value.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"anand" wrote in message
worked like a charm, thanks. I was overthinking it.

anand

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B$100,A1),1,"")