Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default OMG Help!

I am not an excel expert so I'm hoping someone reading this might be. I am
attempting to create a "Scoring" sheet with pre-set values for criteria.
What I would like to do is program this type function into each individual
cell:

eg. If the value of B2 is "15" then 'x' equals 15.

I would like the user to simply enter the letter 'x' in the cell, not numbers.

Does this make sense? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It would help to know what you plan to do with all these "X"s that will equal
15 (or the value in cell B2). But, here's an idea:

You could use the COUNTIF function to count the number of "X"s in your range
of input cells, then multiply the result by the value of cell B2 (or 15 in
your example). So, let's say you enter "X"s randomly in column A, cells 1
thru 20.

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"X")*B2

This would effectively make every "X" that is entered into your range A1:A20
equal to 15 (value of B2).

Does that make sense?

HTH
Elkar

"AbbysMum04" wrote:

I am not an excel expert so I'm hoping someone reading this might be. I am
attempting to create a "Scoring" sheet with pre-set values for criteria.
What I would like to do is program this type function into each individual
cell:

eg. If the value of B2 is "15" then 'x' equals 15.

I would like the user to simply enter the letter 'x' in the cell, not numbers.

Does this make sense? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

Try this:

=lookup(B2,{v,w,x,y,z},{5,10,15,20,25})

A note on this: Anything inside the first {} must be in ascending
alphanumeric order.