Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cell formatting won't work

I'm trying to type in numbers into a cell in a previously created worksheet.
The numbers are like this: 1140,21122,1111.

I hadn't changed any of the formatting in any of the cells since I created
the worksheet, but all of a sudden when I get to this cell, it is adding the
numbers together instead of listing them as above. Why did this happen, and
how can I fix it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You mean you are typing in a text string which reads "1140,21122,1111" or do
you mean you are typing in 4 digit numbers like 1140 or 5 digit numbers like
21122?

In the first case I have never seen Excel add these together when entered as
you describe. So the answer would be 23373?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"LisaK" wrote:

I'm trying to type in numbers into a cell in a previously created worksheet.
The numbers are like this: 1140,21122,1111.

I hadn't changed any of the formatting in any of the cells since I created
the worksheet, but all of a sudden when I get to this cell, it is adding the
numbers together instead of listing them as above. Why did this happen, and
how can I fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When I type: 1140,21122,1111 into Excel, I get:
1,140,211,221,111

Is that what you get? If so, Excel is not adding your numbers, it's just
reformatting your entry with consistent commas -- the way most everybody
wants their numbers displayed.

To get it to stop, make sure your cell is formatted as text before you
start. It sounds like somehow your formatting got changed along the way. An
alternative, which works regardless of the cell's format, is to precede your
entry with an apostrophe (').

Regards,
Fred.