Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Goal Seek

I think I need to use goal seek but am not sure how to get to where I need to
be. The scenerio is as follows: We currently pay personal car mileage.
Last year we paid $6,034,665. We realize that for the amount we spend on
mileage we could purchase vehicles and not pay mileage. In this example we
could have purchased 301 new vehicles @ $20,000. However, we know that with
the purchases come additional expenses (fuel & maint/repairs) therefore in
order not to exceed our current spending we could only purchase something
less than 301. My cells look like this:

A1 [Total spending] = $6,034,665
B1 [Equivalent miles @$0.55] = A1/0.55
C1 [Equivalent vehicle purchases @$20,000] = ROUNDDOWN((A1/20000),0)
D1 [Vehicle purchase] = C1*20000
E1 [Fuel year 1 ($2,80 @30 MPG)] = (B1*2.8)/30
F1 [Repairs/Maint year 1 @$160] = C1*160
G1 [Vehicle expense year 1] = SUM(D1:F1)

So, ultimately the answer I am looking for is how many vehicles could we
actually purchase without exceeding our current $6M spending? Is goal seek
the right route to take?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Cost estimate for a single car = base price + main. + fuel and divide that
result into 6M.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire