Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to eliminate everything but duplicates

I have a spreadsheet with 2755 rows and columns A--N in it. 2 of
the columns are for first name and last name. I want to take all the
rows that have a matching first name and last name combination and
move them to either another sheet or somewhere else on this sheet. In
other words, isolate them. It is more difficult then it appears at
first.

Thanks for any help.

-Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Say your data is A2:N2755

And your names are in column A and column B.

I'd insert two columns (O and P???) and put this in O2:
=a2&char(1)&b2
and drag down.

Then in P2, I'd use this formula:
=countif(o:o,o2)
and drag down.

Filter the data in column P (data|filter|autofilter in xl2003 menus) to show the
values greater than 1.

Heck, you could copy the visible cells, but maybe you don't need to. Filtering
may be enough.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

jtpryan wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 2755 rows and columns A--N *in it. *2 of
the columns are for first name and last name. *I want to take all the
rows that have a matching first name and last name combination and
move them to either another sheet or somewhere else on this sheet. *In
other words, isolate them. *It is more difficult then it appears at
first.

Thanks for any help.

-Jim

--

Dave Peterson

Dave,

Thank you for that. Putting the names together in one cell really
helped. It's always good to get another set of eyes on a problem.

-Jim