Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Difference between NOW() and TODAY()

Hi community,

I made the following experience: when implementing a time stamp
mechanismen a can chose between NOW() and TODAY().

But when I use NOW() I get the current date *and* time of a event, but
when using TODAY() I only get the actual date.
E.g. formatting a cell as TT. MMM JJ, hh:mm ;;

NOW() returns: 10. Feb. 09, 22:22
TODAY() returns 10. Feb. 09, 00:00,

thus TODAY() cuts the time information, whereas NOW() returns the
current date *and* current time, but has the drawback that the
function changes only when the worksheet is calculated or when a macro
that contains the function is run. It is not updated continuously,
(excerpt of Excel help).

For time stamping I use circular references like =IF(D10=0;NOW();D10).
This is coded in a cell/row in sheet A. In sheet B I want to insert
this row of sheet A by cut-n-paste, and the time stamp in sheet B
shall update to the time when the row (of sheet A) is inserted into
sheet B.

The problem I' am faced is, that =IF(D10=0;NOW();D10) shows when
inserted into B the *last* time update of sheet A, but not the current
time. Updating or re-calculating of sheet A has now effect since D10
is not equal zero - it shows the old value already.
The only way to update =IF(D10=0;NOW();D10) in sheet A to the current
date & time is to put the cursor into the formular bar and to hit
<return *before* cut-n-pasting the row into sheet B.

Since I want to insert the timestamp into sheet B by pressing a button/
a macro in B, I'am looking for a mechanism to update sheet A to the
actual / current date & time and to insert it then into sheet B. I
would preferre a formula solution.

Any ideas?
Michael

P.S: sorry for multiple posting, I had already posted a similar
description but deleted the post undeliberatly.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Both NOW and TODAY are volatile, which means they both recalculate whenever
the spreadsheet recalculates.

You can force recalculation by pressing F9.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Michael.Tarnowski" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Michael.Tarnowski" wrote:
[...]

Hi Shane,
thank you for your reply. I understand that NOW() and TODAY() updates
when the sheet is recalculated. The problem is the field formula =IF
(D10=0;NOW();D10). This enters the old time stamp value when pasted
and never changes again since value is < 0 - this is intended, the
time stamp should not chance after entered once. But the time stamp
should get the *current* time not the old one when entered.
Michael