Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Add a unique (sequential) number to "usuername"

Add a unique (sequential) number at the end of usersnames

Greetings All,

I have several hundred usernames that are identical (ex. 50 "mjones"). I
want to be able to use excel if possible to place a unique and sequential
number at the end of the duplicates (after the first original of course).

I was able to create a worksheet with "Concoctonate=Conditional
Formatting=True&False=Sorting"... Now just looking for a way to automate
the "adding of unique numbers" at the end of the username.... Any advice...?

Thank you!
Sawtelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Say your data is in column A. In B1 enter:
=A1
In B2 enter:
=A2 & IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A2,A2)1, COUNTIF($A$1:A2,A2)-1,"") and copy down

For example:

mike mike
mike mike1
joe joe
joe joe1
jim jim
jim jim1
frank frank
frank frank1
mike mike2
larry larry

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200832

"sawtelle" wrote:

Add a unique (sequential) number at the end of usersnames

Greetings All,

I have several hundred usernames that are identical (ex. 50 "mjones"). I
want to be able to use excel if possible to place a unique and sequential
number at the end of the duplicates (after the first original of course).

I was able to create a worksheet with "Concoctonate=Conditional
Formatting=True&False=Sorting"... Now just looking for a way to automate
the "adding of unique numbers" at the end of the username.... Any advice...?

Thank you!
Sawtelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think Dave means this:

=A4&TEXT(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)-1,"0;;;")

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"sawtelle" wrote:

Add a unique (sequential) number at the end of usersnames

Greetings All,

I have several hundred usernames that are identical (ex. 50 "mjones"). I
want to be able to use excel if possible to place a unique and sequential
number at the end of the duplicates (after the first original of course).

I was able to create a worksheet with "Concoctonate=Conditional
Formatting=True&False=Sorting"... Now just looking for a way to automate
the "adding of unique numbers" at the end of the username.... Any advice...?

Thank you!
Sawtelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You were closer, but I really meant:

=A1&TEXT(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)-1,"0;;;")

(not A4 as the first cell reference)

(I was cleaning up $ signs and got too aggressive!)

Shane Devenshire wrote:

I think Dave means this:

=A4&TEXT(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)-1,"0;;;")

Cheers,