Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Find and replace dilemma

Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

We need more detail to answer this question.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"mismose" wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm sure there's a way, but vague questions can only get vague answers.
Detailed questions get solutions.

Regards,
Fred.

"mismose" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

recently when we converted to a new financial management program all of our
740 position numbers were changed by the automated system I have a list of
the new numbers and a list of the old numbers. All of my data in spreadsheets
contain the old position numbers. My question is... can I use find and
replace to fix this using several columns without having to do it individually
ie: find everything in this column and replace with this column

"mismose" wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

recently we converted to a new financial system. The new system changed all
of our position numbers (740) to an automated number. All of my spreadsheets
contain the old position number. i have a column with the old number and a
column with the new number. My question is..is there a way i can mass find
and replace per spreadsheet or will it have to be done individually

"mismose" wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There's no mass find and replace command in Excel which will do what you
want. If it were me, I would do the following:

1. Insert a blank column next to your position number.
2. Do a Vlookup to get the new number from the old number.
3. Copy the new column, Paste Special, Values.
4. Delete old column.

Regards,
Fred.

"mismose" wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of
numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How different are the old numbers from the new ones? I'm worried about the
possibility of changing a number and then later on thinking that new number
was an old one. Can you post a sample of each?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"mismose" wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any way to find a replace a column of
numbers
without having to do it individually?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hmm... they are very similar. By any change do the old numbers all start
with 1 and the new numbers all start with 0?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"mismose" wrote in message
101001 011685