Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Syntax question

Hello,
I am trying to write a form, with a yes or no field in it. My formula
currently reads =IF(G18=Yes,3,0)
It gives me an error and put #NAME? on the field it controls.

When I looked at the error the error read
=IF(Yes=Yes,3,0) it wasn't using the cell reference but the content. What
am I missing? I have IF statements all over this form, and the only
difference I see is that this one is alpha instead of numeric.

Please advise

THANKS
Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(G18="Yes",3,0)
For text input you need to enclose them in ""
--
R. Khoshravan
Please click "Yes" if it is helpful.

"BigDave63" wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to write a form, with a yes or no field in it. My formula
currently reads =IF(G18=Yes,3,0)
It gives me an error and put #NAME? on the field it controls.

When I looked at the error the error read
=IF(Yes=Yes,3,0) it wasn't using the cell reference but the content. What
am I missing? I have IF statements all over this form, and the only
difference I see is that this one is alpha instead of numeric.

Please advise

THANKS
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

THANKS GUYS!! much appreciated. I figured it was something stupid, and the
excel help thing didnt help much.

Take care :)

"muddan madhu" wrote:

=if(g18="yes",3,0)

On Feb 5, 11:51 am, BigDave63
wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to write a form, with a yes or no field in it. My formula
currently reads =IF(G18=Yes,3,0)
It gives me an error and put #NAME? on the field it controls.

When I looked at the error the error read
=IF(Yes=Yes,3,0) it wasn't using the cell reference but the content. What
am I missing? I have IF statements all over this form, and the only
difference I see is that this one is alpha instead of numeric.

Please advise

THANKS
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The Excel help thing for #NAME? gives a list of possible causes and the
missing double-quotes is in that list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:28:50 -0800, BigDave63
wrote:

THANKS GUYS!! much appreciated. I figured it was something stupid, and the
excel help thing didnt help much.

Take care :)

"muddan madhu" wrote:

=if(g18="yes",3,0)