Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Character search and replace

I need help with a problem, and I do not know if this is even possible.

Lets say cell A1 = 123ABC

On a different sheet we have a text chart which shows 123 equaling United
States. "A" equals great, and "BC" equals country.

Is there a way to search the first sheet, and get cell A2 to return a text
of "United States great country"?

This is course is a very simplifies version of what I need to do, as I have
several hundred different sets of values I need to convert to text.

Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You might be able to join some VLOOKUP statements together. Something like:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(A1,3),Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE)&"
"&VLOOKUP(MID(A1,4,1),Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE)&"
"&VLOOKUP(MID(A1,5,2),Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE)

This assumes all of your data follows the same format. Post back with more
examples of your actual data if you need more help.

HTH
Elkar